So how did we do this summer?
After a successful first season of Columbia Gorge Express service last year, we knew that locals and visitors alike loved being able to reach Gorge sites car-free and avoid the parking hassle at Multnomah Falls. This year reaffirmed this as we saw a 10% increase in daily ridership to about 557 trips per day!
But who were these riders, and what did they think of their experience on the Gorge Express? A survey conducted over two weekends of service revealed some interesting results:
- 99% said they would recommend the service to others
- Over half of riders from Gateway Transit Center had no other transportation option to visit the Gorge.
- 65% of Gateway riders started their trip on TriMet, illustrating the importance of that connection to the regional transit network.
- 90% said the service, which cost $5 roundtrip from Gateway Transit Center, was an excellent value.
- 60% came from a state besides Oregon, 28% fom the Portland Metro, and 8% from outside the U.S.
Room for improvement
Top suggestions for improvement included increased service (frequency, hours, days) and better information and amenities at stops. Between now and when we resume service in summer 2018 we will be working to make the Columbia Gorge Express even better. Stay tuned!